This policy defines who may be given access to the MantaMatcher Wildbook and how access may be requested.
MantaMatcher (the “Wildbook”) is privately funded and managed jointly by Wild Me, a 501c3 non-profit organization in the United States, and the Marine Megafauna Foundation. This Wildbook provides standardized research software and analytical techniques for the study of giant and reef manta rays (Manta birostris and Manta alfredi). Access to this resource is provided free of charge to individuals or organizations selected according to the criteria of this policy. The number of new accounts that can be provided each year is limited by:
- available resources to support existing users
- available resources for existing manta research efforts.
Requests for access to the MantaMatcher Wildbook should be sent via email to: info at mantamatcher dot org
In the request, please state:
- Your research objectives
- The organization you represent (if appropriate)
- The Wildbook tools and data that could benefit your research
- How much data you have already collected for your research
- Your qualifications.
Requests for access to the MantaMatcher Wildbook are reviewed by Directors of Wild Me within 60 days. The Directors may also request outside assistance in reviewing your application.
The Directors weighs these and other criteria when reviewing a request for access:
- Your ability and willingness to contribute new manta data
- Your ability and willingness to follow the analytical techniques used in MantaMatcher
- Your ability and willingness to develop new techniques for manta research
- Your ability and willingness to develop new science for other fields using manta data
- Your ability and willingness to use manta data collaboratively
- available resources to properly support you.
The final decision for a request is made by a majority decision of the Wild Me Board of Directors. Responses are provided via email. The Board wishes to acknowledge in advance that not all valid requests for access can be approved due to limitations on available resources.
The Directors of Wild Me may choose to invite appropriate individuals to participate without a formal request for access. Invitations for access are reviewed in accordance with the criteria defined above.